[GRASS-user] g.copy Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 24 12:27:04 EST 2009

On Thu, 24 Dec 2009, Hamish wrote:

> another way of saying that is that grass's manipulation code is fully
> self-sufficient and you should never have to resort to filesystem hacks in
> order to get the job done.

Hamish,

   I agree. This brings me back to my original question of what I'm doing
incorrectly ... Found it!

   When I use the GUI to load the dem the map name 'elevation10m' is shown.
Yet when I grep that subdirectory's files for that string it's found in the
hist/ subdirectory. Now I know!

   The command (either in the GUI or CLI) 'g.copy rast=elevation10m at dem,elev'
copies the map into the PERMANENT mapset.

   So, now I can start playing with display options and various
r.watershed/r.streams, etc. modules so I can design and run the appropriate
models.

Many thanks,

Rich