[GRASS-user] Regions and Mapsets

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Dec 24 14:06:11 EST 2009

   Just to confirm my understanding of regions and mapsets I'll ask this
final question on the subject. The PERMANENT mapset holds the base data with
maximum regions for each map. The project mapset has a smaller region, so
when I'm working within that mapset on copies of the maps stored in
PERMANENT, all actions are within the smaller region. With raster maps, too,
like the DEM, all calculations are on the visible portion only. So, when I'm
finished, the original bounds for each map in PERMANENT remain unchanged. I
believe that this is correct.

Thanks,

Rich