[GRASS-user] fast updating of a large map from several small ones.

Milton Cezar Ribeiro miltinho.astronauta at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 20:42:07 EST 2009

Dear all,

I have a large raster project (~60,000 x 48,000 pixels)
and I extracted the drainage from DEM for ~1,000 subbasin.
Now I would like to join all the pieces of drainage, but
whem I tryed :
 g.region  rast=`g.mlist pat=ANA_COD5_drenbin_* sep=,`
 r.series input=`g.mlist pat=ANA_COD5_drenbin_* sep=,`
output=ANA_COD5_drenbin_join method=maximum --o

I get error because the (I suppose) the shell not support
my large number of raster names on rast= and input=
at g.region and r.series, respectivelly.

As my base map is very large, if I try something like

r.mapcalc "ANA_COD5_drenbin_joinAUX=if(AnyMAP>0, AnyMAP,
ANA_COD5_drenbin_join)"
g.rename rast=ANA_COD5_drenbin_joinAUX,ANA_COD5_drenbin_join

it is very time expensive, because of the size of my base/large
map. Is there a way of I update only part of a map, using
g.region or r.region for each subbasing, update my
base map without loss other information already stored
on base map?

A little bit late, but still wishing Merry Xtmas.

miltinho