[GRASS-user] Correctly Converting LL to LCC

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 28 10:46:23 EST 2009

   I apologize in advance for cross-posting this message, but I need to
quickly resolve this issue so I can proceed with the project. I posted this
to the proj4j mail list Friday (yes, I know it was a holiday), but have seen
no traffic on that list at all, and no responses to this request. Perhaps
someone here can help me.

   There are three points whose geographic coordinates I have in long/lat. I
need to convert these to the Oregon Lambert Conformal Conic projection with
the Washington-Oregon adjustment. When I try doing this with the cs2cs tool I
get incorrect values as a result.

   This is the input file:

#longitude|latitude
122:30:32.43W|45:19:19.49N
122:30:17.92W|45:18:52.45N
122:29:34.08W|45:18:47.16N

   This is the command line I used:

cs2cs +proj=latlong +datum=NAD83 +to +proj=lcc +datum=NAD83 +ellps=GRS80 \
+lat_1=43.0 +lat_2=45.5 +lat_0=41.75 +lon_0=-120.5 +x_0=1312336 +y_0=0
+nadgrids=WO

The above values are taken from the metadata for the Oregon LCC:

Lambert Conformal Conic
    stdparll 43.000000
    stdparll 45.500000
    long center -120.500000
    latprj origin 41.750000
    false east 1312335.958000 (International feet)
    false north 0.000000

    North American Datum of 1983
    Geodetic Reference System 80
    semiaxis 6378137.000000
    denflat 298.257222

   And these are the results:

#Easting|Northing
1154847.51|398797.24
1155143.02|397955.05
1156093.62|397768.55

   Not only do these seem reversed, they are not at all within the bounds of
the other project maps.

   I have the middle location on a separate map that was imported to GRASS
from an ESRI file, and its coordinates are approximately 796758.58,
1305792.74. Those values are in easting, northing order (at least, that's
the way I presume the GRASS-6.4 wxPython display presents them), and differ
in magnitude from what cs2cs produced.

   What have I done incorrectly? How should I properly translate the long/lat
values to lcc for my project?

Rich