[GRASS-user] Correctly Converting LL to LCC

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 28 14:29:06 EST 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> +lat_1=43.0 +lat_2=45.5 +lat_0=41.75 +lon_0=-120.5 +x_0=400000 +y_0=0 \
>> +nadgrids=WO <<EOF
>> 122d30'32.43"W  45d19'19.49"N
>> 122d30'17.92"W  45d18'52.45"N
>> 122d29'34.08"W  45d18'47.16"N
>> EOF
> 242511.51       398797.24 -0.00
> 242807.02       397955.05 -0.00
> 243757.62       397768.55 -0.00

   Please excuse any of my frustration that I inadvertently express here, but
I just cannot get these three points correctly into GRASS so they display
with the other maps in the project area.

   I used the GUI to import the long/lat values. Those appear OK (but I've
not checked the decimal degrees with the original DMS input). However, when
I run 'v.proj input=features location=sitesLL mapset=PERMANENT
output=keysites --o' the same incorrect positions as above are produced.
Therefore, when I try to display that map with the basin boundary and
streams the error message is that those coordinates are outside the bounds
of the current region.

   The middle point should have values of 796758.58 (instead of 242807.02)
and 130579274 (instead of 397955.05).

   It must be something quite simple that I keep missing, but I cannot find
where I've gone wrong.

Rich