[GRASS-user] Correctly Converting LL to LCC

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 29 22:09:16 EST 2009

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009, Michael Barton wrote:

> I don't want to point fingers at the 'other' GIS, but I and others have
> run into problems with ArcView and .e00 files before. If the original data
> were recorded incorrectly, ArcView doesn't enforce correct projections the
> way GRASS does and bad projection info can end up in these files. When
> imported into GRASS, of course, it assumes that they are correct. So it
> might be worth your while to look at the original data source before
> tearing your hair out dealing with the imported data. If there are
> problems with the source, you might be able to deal with by reimporting
> and setting your input parameters differently.

Michael,

   I presume that those who use the ESRI products are doing more digital
cartography than spatial analyses so they never notice the errors. Back in
the early 1990's when I used MapInfo I found that data from ESRI on state
web sites often had over- and undershoots. Didn't matter if all you did was
draw pretty maps, but it sure screwed up things if you were measuring
lengths, areas, and so on.

   Anywho, I spent today re-importing the source maps much more carefully and
knowledgeably and am now confident that everything is right.

   I should have acknowledged your contributions, too. So I am. :-)

Rich