[GRASS-user] r.profil for profile extraction along x,y path

Christoff christoff.andermann at univ-rennes1.fr
Tue Feb 3 05:54:48 EST 2009

Hi community

I need some help with r.profile (working on GRASS 6.3, Ubuntu8.04). I try to
extract a hight profile along a given x y path (rivers). I have played
around with various possibilities proposed in the wiki and this forum.
Somehow it looks like r.profile does its job correctly until it gets stuck
in the end.  As proposed i try to feed the points in via v.out.ascii. The
output of v.out.ascii seams correct (approx. 2300 points equals number of
points of the vector). The output of r.profiles is somehow much longer (8182
points). The last approx. 3000 points of the profile jump up and down >
500m.

my last try:
v.out.ascii input=river format=standard | grep '^ [0-9]'| \
grep -v ^' 1 ' | \
awk '{print $1 "," $2}' | \
r.profile -g input="elevation" output=river_profile

Did anyboudy has an idea why?

Thank you
Christoff

-----