[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii

Michael Perdue michael_perdue at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 3 20:53:58 EST 2009

If you create a VRT file for your CSV file, then you should be able to
import it with v.in.ogr directly.

v.in.ogr  dsn=/Users/Desktop/Data/
081211_Mitchell_plane_bores_list_V002.vrt out=mitchell_bores

You VRT file would look like:

<OGRVRTDataSource>
     <OGRVRTLayer name="081211_Mitchell_plane_bores_list_V002">
         <SrcDataSource>081211_Mitchell_plane_bores_list_V002.csv</
SrcDataSource>
         <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
         <LayerSRS>EPSG:26910</LayerSRS>
         <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="Easting"
y="Northing"/>
     </OGRVRTLayer>
</OGRVRTDataSource>

Substitute the EPSG code 26910 (NAD83UTM10) for your appropriate
coordinate system and x= & y= to the appropriate column header names.

Mike