[GRASS-user] Cut/Fill Analysis

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Mon Feb 9 15:34:48 EST 2009

I've used GRASS to run preliminary quantities for a landfill design -
It works quite well.  Create a DEM that represents your proposed
grades and then using mapcalc you can figure the cuts and fills
relative to the existing topography.  Then you can easily compute the
volumes.  If you want to balance the cut/fill, remember that there is
a bulking factor on excavated material (say, 1.3X) and compaction of
the fill (if any) needs to be considered.   Rasterizing the proposed
cut and fill surfaces can be a tedious process if there's a lot of
detail.

I would say that if you have access to a CAD package that does
earthwork for a living it'll be a lot easier - and quicker.  But at a
pinch, this is a very useful application of GRASS's many talents.

Stu