[GRASS-user] grass startup cmd line

Vincent Bain bain at toraval.fr
Wed Feb 11 03:21:55 EST 2009

Thank you Hamish,
As you suggest, I wrote a shell script containing the instruction g.gui
workspace=...
After declaring the GRASS_BATCH_JOB variable, and launching grass in
text mode, the wxpython GUI starts and my_workspace loads correctly, but
the problem is I can't get the control on the process ; I guess grass is
waiting for instructions from /within/ the shell script !

Otherwise I tried to pipe the command like this :
echo 'g.gui gui=wxpython workspace=my_workspace.gxw' | grass64 -text
my_gisbase/my_location/my_mapset
There again gui and workspace load properly but the grass prompt does
not appear.

Anyway, it's a minor problem... but it could be interesting to improve
the capabilities of this concept of workspace by allowing to launch
grass only by e.g. double-clicking on a .gxw icon.