[GRASS-user] edges in basin map from r.watershed

MS mseibel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 09:50:43 EST 2009

IMO the esri term of a filled DEM being "hydrologically correct" is a
misnomer.

Natural terrain has real depressions that impact surface water flow.
Big depressional wetlands can retain water and release via groundwater
or evapotranspiration.

I like how r.watershed acomodates known depressions and handles the
flow as interception. Also, then one can use other tools to find
problematic areas in a raw DEM.  I modeled an internally drained basin
using known depressions in GRASS, and it worked fantastic.

One problematic example for esri is modeling an internally drained or
sink-watershed.  These have no surface water outlet.  If one filled it
to get flow out of a 9 sq. mile watershed, the esri analyses are then
meaningless.  Which is one reason why filling a dem just to get an
esri module to work and calling the DEM "hydrologically correct" is a
misnomer an a limitation.

Mark

On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Markus Metz <markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com