[GRASS-user] improve v.rast.stats speed?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Thu Feb 19 10:32:23 EST 2009

G. Allegri wrote:

> r.statistics is probably the best solution. I've investigated the
> ArcGIS method and it actually seems to use a similar method
> (ratserization of the features and various automations to join the
> results). In fact they call the module "zonal statistics" that is
> generally a set of raster basded methods.
>
> the only limitation of the actual r.statistics is that it works only
> with CELL and not float. Ok, I can multiply my values and convert to
> CELL, but we could try to let r.statistics deal with floats too...

Note that 7.0 has r.statistics2 and r.statistics3, which support
floating-point cover maps (the base map still has to be integer).

r.statistics2 deals with accumulator-based aggregates, while
r.statistics3 deals with quantiles. There is currently no way to
calculate the mode, although I'm unsure whether that is a meaningful
concept for floating-point data.