[GRASS-user] compile grass6.4 problem with tcl.h

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Wed Feb 25 09:46:26 EST 2009

Dear Colleagues

While trying to compile grass version 6.4.0RC3 I have come across a problem with locating Tcl.h. Here is my install command

wroberts at wroberts-desktop:/usr/local/src/grass-6.4.0RC3$ sudo CFLAGS="-g -Wall" ./configure --with-cxx --with-postgres --with-mysql --with-sqlite --with-ffmpeg --with-odbc --with-blas --with-lapack --with-motif --with-cairo --with-freetype --with-glw --with-nls --with-readline --with-opendwg --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.5 --with-wxwidgets=/usr/bin/wx-config

here is the last of my output, just as the error occurs.

checking whether to use PNG... yes
checking for location of PNG includes...
checking for png.h... yes
checking for location of PNG library...
checking for png_read_image in -lpng... yes
checking whether to use Tcl/Tk... yes
checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes...
checking for tcl.h... no
configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tcl includes.
wroberts at wroberts-desktop:/usr/local/src/grass-6.4.0RC3$

tcl.h is located at the following location
/include/tcl8.4/tcl.h

How do I tell Grass where to find tcl.h?

I have tried adding the following to the above mentioned command but it does not seem to help.
--with-tcl=/include/tcl8.4/tcl.h

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks,
Wes