[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 34, Issue 79

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Feb 26 10:59:21 EST 2009

On Feb 26, 2009, at 2:26 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Is the wxPyhton GUI supposed to be run only on Windows?
> I guess not..right?
> http://svn.osgeo.org/grass/grass/trunk/gui/wxpython/README
> because I'm runnig this magic on Lenny ;-) (I actually got the 6.4
> version from Sid repository).
>

>>> Are all of the GUI issues due to this
>>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/WxPython-based_GUI_for_GRASS#Imagery_tools
>>
>> perhaps better stated as "redevelopment not started in earnest yet,
>> Some behind-the-scenes code has been prepared, but not much.
>> Volunteers welcome!"
>>

> I would if I could but I don't have the required knowledge (I
> planned to
> learn a bit of Pyhton though, so maybe one of these days).
>

>> Hamish
>

> Since I'm here I'll use the same post to ask you another thing:
> is there any way in GRASS to link different map displays and have a
> "brushing" (update while dragging) or even a static d.what.rast?
>
> Thanks,
> mitch

The new wxPython GUI runs on all platforms. I'm not sure, but it seems
like the OSGeo4W automatically installs Python and wxPython so you
don't have to do anything except switch the default GUI to run this.

It is interactive x monitors that do not run on windows. Modules that
depend on old, interactive x-monitors are being phased out for all
platforms in GRASS 7 and replaced by alternative methods of
interacting with modules.

In the wxPython GUI, you can simultaneously query multiple maps.

Michael