[GRASS-user] Java Web application with GRASS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Feb 28 21:40:21 EST 2009

Ken wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am evaluating grass.  Can i use grass in a j2ee web application deployed to an
> application server.  ie.. Can it be used similar to esri gis server that will
> hand you a url of the map to display in a jsp??
> Thanks in advance
> ken

Theoretically, maybe. GRASS is an analysis package though, rendering
maps for web display is best done by something meant for that like
mapserver, geoserver, mapnik, featureserver, etc.

For serving maps from datasets I recommend you look at those options. If
you want to run some grass tools based on user input and show the
results you would setup a workflow of web interface->grass->map
service->web display.

You may also consider using libgeos in java to perform spatial
operations on your data and return you objects that can be displayed
with the above mentioned tools or you're own custom graphic widget.

Alex