[GRASS-user] Importing polygon maps with overlapping features

Benjamin Ducke benjamin.ducke at oxfordarch.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 06:58:21 EST 2009

Thanks for your clarification, Moritz, that makes perfect sense
from the data model point of view.

The only trouble this gives me in practice arises when I need to
import data created in non-topological GIS (e.g. ArcView Shapefiles)
that contains overlapping polygons. Granted, those should not exist
in the first place, but bad data quality and faulty topology is a
constant reality in my field of work. With overlapping polygons,
centroids cannot always be related to exactly one polygon, so the
topology building fails for those cases and attribute data does
not get attached "correctly".

Are there any bright ideas on how to allow v.in.ogr to import maps
with overlapping polygons and still manage to create a GRASS map
that has all area objects and the right attribute table row linked
to each one of them? Export would also need to work in the same way.
My gut feeling is some patching of v.[in|out].ogr would be required...

Cheers,

Ben

--
Benjamin Ducke
Senior Applications Support and Development Officer

Oxford Archaeological Unit Limited
Janus House
Osney Mead
OX2 0ES