[GRASS-user] Blank window in MS-Windows GRASS 6.3.0

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Mon Jan 12 04:48:33 EST 2009

On 12/01/09 02:37, Matt wrote:
> I've installed the MS-Windows version 6.3.0 on a Vista machine along
> with the NC datafiles.  When I start GRASS (as administrator)  from
> the icon on the desktop a small window titled GRASS 6.3.0 opens
> followed by a GRASS 6.3.0 Startup window.   The startup window shows
> the NC dataset which I highlight and click the "Enter GRASS" button.
> Now there are four windows open: "Tk GRASS6.3.0 GIS Manager -
> North-Carolina PERMANENT", "Tk Map Display 1", "Tk Output-GIS.m", and
> the "GRASS6.3.0" window.  The "GRASS6.3.0" window is black, has a
> flashing white underscore cursor and does nothing.  The other windows
> appear to work properly and I am able to successfully do a few
> examples.
>
> What is the "GRASS6.3.0" window for?  I am unable to type commands in
> it.  It never displays any output.  It just sits there and mocks me.

IIRC, it's for nothing else but internal session management linked to
the functioning of the Windows batch system, so nothing for the user. At
one time I tried to find a way to hide it, but wasn't successful [1].

The conclusion was that the best solution is probably to rewrite GRASS
startup in another language, so that Windows doesn't consider it as a
batch file.

Moritz

[1]http://grass.itc.it/pipermail/grass5/2007-November/033880.html and
following thread.