[GRASS-user] GIS Manager, d.vect, and missing labels

Matt mlpublic42 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 20:51:46 EST 2009

I've installed the MS-Windows version 6.3.0 on a Vista machine along
with the NC datafiles.  Page 170 of Neteler and Mitasova gives the
example
d.vect -c census_wake2000 disp=shape,attr attrcol=FIPSSTCO siz=5 lcol=black.

It seems to me there are at least 3 ways to do this, and I can only
get one of them to work.  Any suggestions on why approaches 2 and 3
below don't work (at least for me)?

1) If I click the "Add command layer" icon of GIS Manager and type the
example, it seems to execute properly.
2) If instead I click the "Add vector layer" icon of GIS Manager and
try to fill in/select the proper commands, I can't get the labels to
appear.  Major settings are:
   Vector map: census_wake2000 at PERMANENT
   Display: Shapes  Points  Lines  Boundaries  Areas
   Point symbols: baskic/circle   Size: 5
   Draw lines: color=black  width=1pixel
   Fill areas= Random colors
   Lable vectors checked, text color=black, text size=5
   Label part to align with vector point: left,   Justification: center
   Layer for labels: 1   Attribute col for labels: FIPSSTCO
Clicking either the "Display active layers" icon or "Redraw all
layers" icon draws the colored map, BUT does not draw the labels.
Output in GIS.m is:
   d.vect map=census_wake2000 at PERMANENT -c color=0:0:0 lcolor=0:0:0
fcolor=170:170:170 display=shape,attr type=point,line,boundary,area
icon=basic/circle size=5 layer=1 {att=FIPSSTCO} lsize=5 xref=left
yref=center llayer=1

Why do the labels not appear on the map?

Lastly
3) Typing the example into the bottom window of GIS.m and press ing
the run button, the color map appears in the Map Display 1 window, but
there are no labels,

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Matt