[GRASS-user] Buffer overflow v.in.ogr on GRASS 6.4 RC2

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jan 14 21:23:40 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 23:24 +0100, wout bijkerk wrote:
> I just checked something that came to my mind pondering the problem
> NIkos encountered (see thread Problem importing/viewing a ~160MB
> shapefile):
>
> When I import a polygonshape without making an attribute table (-t
> option), then the shape gets imported without a problem. But as soon
> as I import the same shape with the default of making the attribute
> table, then v.in.ogr gives a buffer overflow. Which is exactly the
> same problem Nikos had importing a big shape.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Greetings,
> Wout

Hi Wout!

I want to make clear that the "buffer overflow" was caused due to the
use of, I suppose, incompatible libraries ([1] taken from [2]). Using a
newer gdal version fixed this.

I never really tried the "-t" option. But I feel I have to (re-)state
the problem I was facing: the import process was NOT failing, nor
self-killed by the system. It was running and, I guess, it was just
taking *too* long and this is why *I* killed/was killing the process.

I never really let it go as much as possible to see what happens. As
Hamish suggests (first reply on my post back then), it will probably
reach its destination if I'll let it run all the way.

In my case, it is about a coastline dataset with 9764427 vertices.

Kind regards, Nikos

[1] copy-pasted from [2]
********
Attemp 1
********
# using gdal 1.5.3, grass6_devel
# import shapefile
v.in.ogr dsn=... out=...
# buffer overflow error (or segfault --- I can't recall).

********
Attemp 2
********
# using gdal-1.6.0beta2, grass6_devel
# importing the usual way
v.in.ogr dsn=coastlines.shp out=coastlines_longtime -ew --o
Projection of input dataset and current location appear to match
Layer: coastlines
WARNING: Column name changed: 'AREA' -> 'area'
WARNING: Column name changed: 'PERIMETER' -> 'perimeter'
[...]