[GRASS-user] DBMI-DBF driver error

Matt mlpublic42 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 17 13:21:27 EST 2009

I have a problem working through the DBF driver example on pp 174-175
of Neteler & Mitasova with the North Carolina dataset.  I''m running
version 6.3.0-4 under Windows Vista.  The first two commands execute
without any obvious errors when run from the bottom window of "GIS.m".
 But the third command has problems.

db.connect driver=dbf database='$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/'
db.connect -p
g.copy vect=roadsmajor,myroadsmajor

Output from db.connect -p is
     river:dbf
     database:'$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf
     schema:
     group:

Output from g.copy vect=roadsmajor,myroadsmajor is
     g.copy vect=roadsmajor,myroadsmajor

     Copy vector <roadsmajor at PERMANENT> to current mapset as <myroadsmajor>
     DBMI-DBF driver error:
     Cannot create dbf database:
'C:/Users/Matt/Documents/GISdata/nc_spm_08/PERMANENT/dbf

     Cannot open database
''C:/Users/Matt/Documents/GISdata/nc_spm_08/PERMANENT/dbf'
     no database is open

     Unable to copy table <myroadsmajor>

     Cannot copy <roadsmajor at PERMANENT> to current mapset as <myroadsmajor>

I've checked and the file
'C:/Users/Matt/Documents/GISdata/nc_spm_08/PERMANENT/roadsmajor.dbf'
does indeed exist.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Matt