[GRASS-user] g.rename & wx GUI

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Sun Jan 18 15:56:11 EST 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, at 10:00 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org>
wrote:

> Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:52:13 +0100
> From: "Paolo Craveri" <pcraveri at gmail.com>
> Subject: [GRASS-user] g.rename & wx GUI
> To: "GRASS users list" <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org>
>
> Hi to all!
>
> Just upgrade grass 6.4 from svn.
>
> In wx GUI:
>
> 1)add vector  map layer and set some properties
> 2)display it in map display
> 3)rename the vector (command line: g.rename vect...)
> 4)Re-render map in map display
> 5)get error msg "... Details:
> Error: Vector map <pti at area> not found"
> 6)in Layer Manager ->properties ->"Name of imput vector map" set the
> new name of vector map
> 7)try re-render map display: get nothing.
> 8)To display vector map (which is just  renamed) I have to remove
> vector layer from Gis Layer Manager (lost all setting properties) and
> re-add.
>
> Is it possible to avoid point 8 (map display refresh with the same
> vector with new name)?

This is a user error, not a problem with the GUI. The GUI is behaving
correctly. While it would be nice to make the GUI sufficiently robust
to deal with such user errors, but I'm not sure how. You have told the
rendering system to display a map of a particular name. Then you
changed the name of the map. Lacking cyberpsychic abilities, is no way
for the rendering system to know the new name of the map unless you
tell it. So when it tries to render a map that no longer exists, it
correctly gives an error message that the map doesn't exist.

Michael