[GRASS-user] Draping map

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jan 20 11:10:45 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 03:31:33PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <edmondo.elisei at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Dear Tom,
> thanks for your clear explanation.
>
> I think I should obtain better results by this procedure:
> 1) Building vector contours from dem 90 meters;
> 2) Conversion contours to raster
> 3) Running r.surf.rst in order to generate a new dem with higher resolution

If you're only interested in improving the view in NVIZ, you might try instead
using bilinear interpolation of your DEM to higher resolution.  The resulting
DEM won't be a good one to use for serious analytical work (or so I understand)
but will be smoother than the stair-step view you'll have merely by resampling.

Check out r.resamp.interp.  Set your region to the resolution of the TIFF you
plan to use as the color map, and use r.resamp.interp on the DEM with the
bilinear interpolation option.

I use this technique often for draping 2m-per-pixel USGS topo quad maps over
the corresponding 10m-per-pixel DEMs when teaching topo map reading skills to
search and rescue volunteers.  For visualization purposes, it is adequate and
produces pretty pictures without stairsteps.  For other purposes it is probably
quite poor as I understand there are significant artifacts that can creep in.

> 2009/1/20, Tom van der Putte <tom at vdputte.nl>:
> >
> >  Hi Edmondo,
> >
> > If I get your question correctly:
> >
> > Resampling data with a spatial resolution of 90m might increase the
> > resolution of the DEM itself , but it will not increase the detail of the
> > data, only the number of pixels in your DEM. For instance, when you
> > downscale an image of 1 x 1 pixel by a factor 2 (both in x and y direction),
> > the new image will consist of four pixels (2x2). Which all have the same
> > value as the original 1 pixel. So although the number of pixels has been
> > increased, the detail remains the same.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation