[GRASS-user] Original location: How to create from the command line ?

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 20 22:32:21 EST 2009

"Peter Löwe" wrote:

> This should be handled by the following commands:
> g.proj -p                                 [to see what the (default ?) project is]
> g.proj -c epsg=4326              [to override the projection information]
> g.region -s  n=90 s=-90 w=-180 e=180 res=1 [to define the default (-> -s flag) region]
> g.region -p                                                        [to check the results]
>
> Unfortunately this results in:
> ERROR: default region is not set
> ERROR: default region is not set
> ERROR: default region is not set
> ERROR: default region is not set
>
> What's missing ?

	<database>/<location>/PERMANENT/DEFAULT_WIND

You may (or may not) also need MYNAME, VAR and WIND files in the
PERMANENT directory. See the demolocation directory (this is used when
GRASS commands are run during the build process, e.g. for generating
the HTML files).

You might be better off using "g.proj -c location=..." to create the
location directory. This should work without needing a current
location (this is how the GUI to create a new location for a given
EPSG code operates). I suspect that $GISBASE and $GISRC still need to
be set, but it shouldn't care about the contents of the $GISRC file.