[GRASS-user] Character encoding problem

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Tue Jan 20 22:55:54 EST 2009

Markus Neteler wrote:

> > Yes!!!
> > Sorry for bothering you with the last question.
> > I used d.font.freetype pointing at a .ttf font in /usr/share/fonts/... and
> > now it displays all characters perfectly.
> > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 3:09 PM, JanaKr <jkrajc at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> It was an interesting idea with open office (I didn't know I can open dbf
> >> file there). I used it to convert the dbf encoding to UTF-8.
>
> Excellent. So the entire trick is to change the DBF file to UTF-8
> and to use a Truetype font. If not right, please correct me.

I can't comment on GDAL/OGR issues, but the display library will
accept data in any encoding recognised by iconv[1] when using FreeType
fonts. You just need to specify the encoding via the charset= option.

[1] Provided that GRASS was built to use iconv(); this is
autodetected. Otherwise, text is treated as ISO-8859-1.