[GRASS-user] detection of landscape features from landsat

Kenneth Brookes ken_brookes at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 21:52:19 EST 2009

Hi Timmie

I am not very familiar with GRASS GIS either but I’m trying to learn.
However, GRASS does have the tools to perform multi-spectral image
classification. Performing unsupervised classification and then isolating
the classified pixels that appear to represent the spectral signature of
“water” (keeping in mind that several classes of pixels may have to be
grouped due to such factors as turbidity) you should be able to create a
classified raster map for “water”. Once satisfied with the results of the
classification and after isolating the “Water” class you can convert the
raster map to a vector map using r.to.vect.  Once completed you should have
a reasonable “Water Body” vector layer.

Kenneth Brookes