[GRASS-user] ogr2ogr help

Nikos Alexandris nikos.alexandris at felis.uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jan 25 20:05:09 EST 2009

Hi Tom.

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 16:33 -0800, mtnbiketrail at zzz.com wrote:
> Hi, beginner user. First off, am disappointed with help files for syntax for
> ogr2ogr.

[ For the records: this comment should be normally directed to the
"gdal" [1] mailing list ]

> I have a shp file( with .shx, and .dbf) and want to convert it to a
> different projection.

Is there the ".prj" file which contains the relevant "projection"
parameters?

Maybe you also need to "add" a projection to your vector map if the
".prj" file is missing (?). You can do that with the "-a_srs" parameter.

[...]
>  Here is the command I'm using:
> ogr2ogr -f "ESRI Shapefile" -t_srs EPSG:32610 myfile.shp mynewfile.shp

Take a look in the syntax (output of ogr2ogr): first you have to provide
a name for the *destination* and then the *source* filename. I think
your command should look like:
ogr2ogr -t_srs EPSG:32610 mynewfile.shp myfile.shp

[...]
> p.s. I also have "Desktop GIS" by Gary Sherman and not all the book
> examples work(pg 188).thanks,
This is a remark which should probably be directed to the author(?).

> Tom
Kind regards, Nikos
---
[1] gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org