[GRASS-user] Re: link to datasets from other locations?

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 09:59:26 EDT 2009

> "GRASS' logical database structure (one projection
> definition per LOCATION) is designed to avoid problems
> such as the ones introduced with the "on-the-fly"
> reprojection ability (typically problems caused by
> mixed datums) which is present in most GISes."

I'm not sure I'd use the word "designed" that way, AFAIK that
structure was designed long before datum support was even thought
about for GRASS. it's just a matter of enforcing consistency
as a way to keep a complicated job from getting all muddled up.

fwiw in GRASS 5 there is some contrib code from Lockheed Martin
to change the projection of the display window at runtime.

also I don't mean to rag on other GISs too much, obviously we
are not some perfection and have many bugs and design issues too.
just that we should try to learn from mistakes we see around us.

Hamish