[GRASS-user] Re: [GRASS GIS] #668: export and share region settings

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Thu Jul 2 12:07:00 EDT 2009

I don't understand what you want to do here. AFAICT, the only reason
for saving a GRASS region is to use the region in GRASS. The same goes
for a workspace file. As others have pointed out g.region and g.proj
will export the details of any projection used by GRASS.

If you are trying to use a region defined in one location within
another location, you can do that--at your own risk. Just copy the
region def file from location1/mapset1 to location2/mapset2.

Following up on a couple of ongoing threads, the location/mapset
structure of GRASS has been much discussed and thought out with some
care. I know it can be annoying sometimes for people coming from other
GIS programs, but GRASS has long had a philosophy of emphasizing the
importance of accurate digital mapping and cartography--something that
is probably tied to its primarily scientific, rather than commercial,
development and use. The location/mapset structure is an important
aspect of maintaining that accuracy.

As I tell frustrated students, a GIS is not like a word processor or
even a graphics program. There is more to managing geospatial data
than simply reading a file format. I'm not trying to be trite, but
simply pointing out that user expectations are strongly conditioned by
the software they use heavily and most of us use other kinds of
programs more frequently than we use a GIS. The location/mapset
structure forces users to think about some important requirements of
geospatial data before they start the program.

Although I, too, was initially turned off by this, I've become an
increasingly strong supporter of this approach over time. Sometimes I
even think that we would be better off to get away from all semblance
of word processor and graphic programs in the UI in order to make
users to think about GIS software differently. Unfortunately, I have
been so far insufficiently creative to think about how to do this--
though I saw some interesting ideas at a recent UCGIS conference. The
interactive GIS and sandbox using an inexpensive xbox camera and a
data projector was especially fascinating.

Michael
Director of Graduate Studies, School of Human Evolution & Social Change
Arizona State University

Phone: 480-965-6262
Fax: 480-965-7671
www: <www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton>