[GRASS-user] Re: link to datasets from other locations?

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen at gmx-topmail.de
Sat Jul 4 17:27:41 EDT 2009

> moving from one location to another location (which usually is/should be
> of another projection) is "safely" done with v.proj. Why use another
> command for that?
Then v.proj should support:
* -r flag for importing only the current region extend
* -ship_project flag if source & target locations have the same
projection, can also be detected automatically.
* -d: delete source dataset after successful reprojection
The same should apply for r.proj

>>> if you want to mix things you must use multiple mapsets from the
>>> same location with @othermapset.
Image the following use case:
You have project location.
Then you would like to test out some new processing workflows or
developed a new methodology.
In order not to pollute the project location with a lot of test rasters,
you start a new location to do the testing.
Maybe I am misunderstanding the concept of mapsets.
And that the develpers meat mapsets to provide this kind of functionality.
So will removing a mapset also automatically remove all datasets that
belong to it?

>> Imagine a shared location with common data such as world borders or GSHHS.
>> It would not be space efficient to import such large data into every new
>> project. Rather sharing the common location when needed.
> I find that your question/thought makes sense. I faced myself this in
> the past.
Thanks for this support ;-)

  I decided to build a location called ellas (=greece) where I
> put everything that covers/has to do with greece. From there I "pull" it
> to wherever required, do what has to be done and erase if not required
> anymore.
What command do you use to "pull"?
v.proj & r.proj?

Regards,