[GRASS-user] Convert OGR vector layer to GRASS vector map

benton101 benton.davies at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 21:43:45 EDT 2009

Hi
I have an esri shape file that I would like to import into GRASS. I want to
use the boundaries of this file to create statistics using the values from a
raster. I will use v.rast.stats as advised previously to do this. I have the
following questions regards this operation;

1. I note that when I import it, the output pane comments that there are 0
centroids, but there is an attribute table. I have then used the Vector >
Develop Vector Map > Add Centroids. Is this correct in light of the fact
that I want to use v.rast.stats?

2. The command output pane states "Datum <GDA_1994> not recognised by GRASS
and no parameters found". How can I give imported data the correct meta data
for projection? I gather that this will be an EPSG identifier?

3. The command Vector > Develop Vector Map > Dissolve boundaries appears to
give different results as to what I get in Esri. I chose the same column to
do the statistics on. Has anyone else had disparate results between the two
applications? Or I am doing something wrong in the initial preparation of
the data?

Thank You for any assistance
Ben