Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994, was - Re: [GRASS-user] Convert OGR vector layer to GRASS vector map

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 17 00:59:41 EDT 2009

Paul Kelly wrote:
> No it's a datum in its own right and should have an entry in datum.table
> with ellipsoid GRS80 and dx=dy=dz = 0. Before adding it we would need to
> >> check what the proper EPSG-based long name should be. I suspect it
> might be "Geocentric_Datum_of_Australia_1994" but will need to make sure.
> > OK: from http://www.epsg-registry.org/
> >
> > Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994
> > Code: EPSG::6283
> > Type: GeodeticDatum
> > Domain of Validity: Australia - all states
>
> That looks about right then - now added to all versions.

just to note that AFAIU gda94 is similar to etrs89 in that it is a plate-
locked datum. (and in the last 36 hours I can also report some tangible
observations that these plates are certainly not static!)

Hamish

ps- (OT)  http://grass.itc.it/spearfish/php_grass_earthquakes.php
 low priority wishes:
  - how to brighten the Blue Marble colormap (RGB raster)? i.landsat.rgb?
  - Richter scale is logarithmic, but bubble radius is linear classed
    to int order of magnitude- the whoppers get hidden in the noise.