[GRASS-user] Export of large vector grid

Wesley Roberts wroberts at csir.co.za
Fri Jul 24 08:07:51 EDT 2009

Dear Grass users,

I am trying to export a large vector to the shapefile format. The vector is in the form of a grid which I want to use to sample satellite data, it has 354 columns and 388 rows (in the form of a grid, each cell being 30 m by 30 m). I am working on windows and have been trying to export the vector file as a shapefile, the export takes a really long time and actually just hangs after a while. This is the command I am using in Grass 6.4.0svn (2009)

v.out.ogr -c input=grid at Wes type=area 'dsn=D:\wes2006\Projects\Tree Cover\LQ-upscaling\30m_New_Analysis' olayer=TEST_GRID layer=1 format=ESRI_Shapefile

I am pretty sure all is well but cant understand why the vector fails to export. Is it possible to use another format, or is shapefile the best to use?

Many thanks and kind regards,
Wesley

Wesley Roberts MSc.
Researcher: Earth Observation
Natural Resources & the Environment (NRE)
CSIR
Tel: +27 (0)21 888-2490
Fax: +27 (0)21 888-2693
"To know the road ahead, ask those coming back."
- Chinese proverb