[GRASS-user] r.watershed crashing grass.

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 25 05:09:51 EDT 2009

Milton Cezar Ribeiro wrote:
> Hi Markus,
>
> My system start with 1.5GB of memory usage,
vista waste
> considering that
> grass are loaded on memory,
not much
> and my mapset is also loaded.
not loaded to memory
> When I start the r.watershed, my system go up to 3.0GB, remain
> running for few minutes, and then give the error that I reported,
> and them release the memory. On several trying the system
> goes only up to 3GB, but I have 6Gb.
is grass compiled as 32bit or 64bit? 32bit applications can't use all
6GB of memory, only up to about 3GB.
> So my "-m memory=4096"
> not make sense. In fact 3-1.5 = ~ 1.5GB as you suggested.
>
> Any other idea?
Not really, only diagnostics: the G_malloc error was caused by the
segment library, not r.watershed directly.

Hamish said this is a generic memory problem on MS windows (vista).
I would 1) close grass, 2) reboot windows, 3) make distclean, configure,
make, 4) check if it's now working, 5) if not check if a similar bug has
been already reported, file a new bug if necessary, give up and have a
nice weekend, IOW I'm out of ideas, sorry!

Markus