[GRASS-user] g.manual tries to run C:\Program Files\Internet Exporer\iexplore (the 'L' is missing from 'Explorer')

Frank Bilki fbilki at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 01:25:45 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 9:01 PM, Hamish<hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I think it is fixed but the osgeo4w GRASS package is so far
> out of date now & so untested..

Is it possible to update the OSGeo4W installation using (say) the
WinGRASS-6.4.0RC5-1 setup, or would that just cause more problems than
it's worth?

As a test I followed the exact instructions described in the
'Installation' topic on
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-grass#Errata using Google
Chrome instead Firefox, but as expected it didn't work with the
backslashes. Changing them to forward slashes worked perfectly.

It also doesn't seem to matter if the change is made in
C:\OSGeo4W\etc\ini\grass.bat or C:\OSGeo4W\bin\grass64.bat as long as
it is made in one of them.

Glynn Clements wrote:

> Could anyone clarify which of the following are valid arguments to
> GRASS_HTML_BROWSER?
>
> 1. A native filename, e.g.:
>
>       C:\GRASS\docs\html\index.html
>
> 2. A Unix-ish filename, e.g.:
>
>       C:/GRASS/docs/html/index.html
>
> 3. A file: URL, e.g.:
>
>       file:///C:/GRASS/docs/html/index.html

After tinkering with this for a while on a couple different computers
(both using Vista and both with an OSGeo4W installation so not much of
a test really) I would say:

1. Invalid
2. Valid, even though it is Windows
3. Invalid (at least in terms of pointing to the default browser. Not
tested with html documents.)

Cheers,

Frank