[GRASS-user] Re: restoring region

Seb spluque at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 15:37:40 EDT 2009

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 03:17:08 -0700 (PDT),
Hamish <hamish_b at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Seb wrote:
>> I recently moved to a new system, and restored all my home directory
>> from a backup device on an external USB drive, which kept everything
>> with the same permissions as the source directory.  In the new system
>> with the restored home directory, grass has problems setting the
>> region to default, even though the WIND file in the PERMANENT mapset
>> doesn't show any problems:

> stuff to check - file permissions - your current user is the owner of
> the mapset files, write permission is not enough - MS Win filesystem
> on USB drive didn't lowercase some of the all caps file names like
> WIND and PROJ_INFO.  - current filesystem doesn't play any tricks with
> that either - it didn't decide to retranslate to CRLF line endings
> during the copy.  - make a new location by EPSG code or data file,
> test and compare..

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've checked that permissions are fine, and
also diff'ed one of the locations with the problem in the new system
against the backup, and did the same for the backup against the
original, and no differences show up.  Permissions and file naming are
also fine (my user has read/write access, with read access to others, as
was the case in my previous system).  However, I went ahead and heeded
the advice in the message (run g.region), which gave this error:

g.region: error while loading shared libraries: libgrass_vect.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Checking:

,-----[ ldd /usr/lib/grass64/bin/g.region | grep 'not found' ]
| 	libgrass_vect.so => not found
| 	libgrass_dbmibase.so => not found
| 	libgrass_gis.so => not found
| 	libgrass_datetime.so => not found
| 	libgrass_dbmiclient.so => not found
| 	libgrass_dgl.so => not found
| 	libgrass_dig2.so => not found
| 	libgrass_rtree.so => not found
| 	libgrass_linkm.so => not found
| 	libgrass_g3d.so => not found
| 	libgrass_gproj.so => not found
`-----

In fact, doing this for /usr/lib/grass64/bin/* gives a pretty long list
(1954).  Could this be the problem?

--
Seb