[GRASS-user] Re: wiki page for compiling on Ubuntu

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Tue Jun 16 04:52:15 EDT 2009

On 15/06/09 12:58, Timmie wrote:
>> I think it would be better to work here:
>>
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install#Ubuntu
> Yes.
>
> But as my instructions differ from what people used on the LTS version, I though
> to start a new page.
>
> I have nothing against combining things.
> Let's use the new page to develop a guide for
> * current LTS
> * current release
>
> and then merge it back to the main page.

I don't really see the need for that. A Wiki is a live document, no need
to work on a draft somewhere else, but oh well...

> any suggestions & edits welcome.

Generally, on any Debian-derived distro I would always recommend using
the 'fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage' route, instead of e.g. checkinstall.
The Debian-GIS project provides debian/ folders for most GRASS versions.
Using those ensures that you packages fits better into the normal
Debian(/Ubuntu) structure and also why not use these great tools when
they are available.

Here's the general procedure I generally recommend:

- apt-get install fakeroot
- apt-get build-dep grass #to install all necessary dependencies
- mkdir grass_builddir #create the build directory
- cd grass_builddir
- download and unpack desired GRASS source code
- follow instructions in debian/README, using either
svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-grass/packages/grass/trunk/debian or a relevant
tag, such as
svn://svn.debian.org/pkg-grass/packages/grass/tags/6.4.0~rc5-1/debian
- in the GRASS source directory: 'fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage'
- if the compilation works well: move up one directory (cd ..)
- sudo dpkg -i *.deb #to install all deb packages just created

Feel free to add this to the wiki, if you think this relevant.

Moritz