[GRASS-user] Digitising cursor in 6.4

hamish_b at yahoo.com hamish_b at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 02:28:28 EDT 2009

Richard wrote:
> I've finally installed a more recent
> version - Version 4, RC5 running under OpenSUSE and Puppy
> Linux (I use both, from time to time).
>
> V.digit used to use a "crosshair" style cursor, but this
> has been changed to a much chunkier version, which is (IMO)
> sub-optimal for accurate work. Is this fixable?

I believe that has to do with the OS upgrade, not the GRASS upgrade.

Such things are controlled at the X-Windows level. You'll notice that
`gv` and other apps get the "cute" but fat & useless crosshairs as well.

see if SuSE has a xcursor-themes or libxcursor package. "man Xcursor"?

On Debian to get back to the basic X11 cursors I had to install the
xcursor-themes package then run (as root)
  update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
and select "core" instead of "Industrial" as the desired theme.

I am pretty sure that SuSE does not use the /etc/alternatives system
that debian does so you'll have to figure out how to change that.
perhaps edit/symlink /usr/share/cursors/xfree/default/index.theme ?

Also note that I'm using the rawish Fluxbox- KDE and Gnome may have their
own user settings which override that for you.

If you figure it out, please post the solution as it might be a nice thing
to have in the archives/wiki.

Hamish