[GRASS-user] hardware requirements for running r.sun

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 30 11:31:40 EDT 2009

buraq wrote:
> I have a notebook with T7200 Intel CPU and r.sun completes
> one day's calculation between 3-4 mins(with linke turbidity raster
> and shadowing, step = 1). I want to run r.sun with step=0.5 in a
> large scale and detailed area.
> So, I need to reduce the calculation time for calculating 365 day data.
> Could you give me advices about hardware for reducing
> calculation time?

see tips here:
  http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/r.sun

(run r.horizon first)

24 hours to complete isn't so bad :)
suggestion: to take advantage of dual processor split up operations and
(if running linux) run two concurrent mapsets for day 0-180 and 181-365.
then when done use g.mapsets to add second mapset to first's search path.

wish: someone in the know adds OpenMP* support to r.sun
[*] (or pthreads, but OpenMP seems easier)
     http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/OpenMP

Hamish