[GRASS-user] Modelling 1:n and m:n relationships in GIS

Frank Broniewski liste at geo-dienstleistung.de
Mon Mar 9 04:36:43 EDT 2009

Normalization of data and GIS is a difficult topic. I tend to seperate
geometry and data into different tables and join them together by need. This
makes it easier to modify the geometry without touching the data or even use
different representation forms, e.g. point sizes vs. choroplethe maps.

If more than one table maps to geometry and all the data is really needed for
querying I create a denormalized table with all the fields needed in it,
usually by creating a view. This works well when there is only one value in
each table corresponding to the geometry. When there's more you'd need to
aggregate your data somehow.
Depending on the user interface it is also possible to write your own query
interface which is capable of getting data over multiple tables and dealing
with 1:n relationships more nicely than aggregate views.

Concerning m:n relations - depending on which side has geometry it is really
nothing else than a 1:n relationship in a certain direction. If both sides
have geometry you would need to create one layer for each side and then its
again nothing else than a 1:n relation.

Frank