[GRASS-user] Re: grass-user Digest, Vol 35, Issue 25

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:39:24 EDT 2009

Michael Barton wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2009, at 9:00 AM, <grass-user-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:
>

>> On 09/03/09 00:00, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I keep getting into situations where mapping 1:n and m:n relationships
>>> in relational DBMS to GIS vector models becomes a problem.
>>> The toughest restrictions of course are the 1:1 relation between map
>>> features and attribute table records
>>
>> Where do you see a 1:1 restriction ? In GRASS you can have several
>> features with the same category value, so related to one tuple in the
>> table and you can have several category values for one feature, so
>> related to several tuples in the table.

[...]
>> Moritz
>
> Following up with Moritz, actually GRASS is very flexible in this
> regard. However, this flexibility is not very well known or understood
> by most users.
This may be a bit hidden in vectorintro.html under Attribute management
-> Categories. Although I have the suspicion that lengthy descriptions
are not always read by a user, this (exceptional?) flexibility of the
GRASS vector model could be emphasized a bit more under a separate
heading, something like "Vector object IDs and relational DBMS",
explaining that one vector object can have several IDs (categories) and
several vector objects can share the same ID (category). The attribute
table(s) connected to the vector can have entries for each category, but
they must not have an entry for each category, similarly, the attribute
table can hold information about categories not present in the vector.
This is partially repeating what Michael wrote below. Maybe this is all
redundant because it is already explained somewhere else, but I think
vectorintro.html is a good place to hold all this information. Another
suggestion would be that module manuals link to the vectorintro when
appropriate. I know, the perfect user studies all intros first before
using any module, and then first reads the manual for that module before
using it, but IMHO this is unrealistic. At least I am not such a perfect
user.

Markus M