[GRASS-user] problem about import of shp file

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 08:29:23 EDT 2009

Natsuko YOSHIFUJI wrote:
> I created new tmerc location.
> <v.in.ogr dsn=lu2543s.shp output=lu2543s > worked, but I had same
> error message <ssertion "n" failed: file "node.c", line 48>.
> You told me that this is because of shortage of RAM.
I guess. I hope it's not a bug in grass, but to my knowledge this error
has not been reported before and I tested v.in.ogr recently (in 6.4,
6.5, and 7) and also did not get such an error.
> So, I tried to use another PC (Grass6.2.2), created tmerc location,
> and tried to import the same shp file.
> Then, I received an error message saying that projections don't match!
> In this time, data set projection was reported as follows;
>
> Dataset PROJ_INFO is:
>    name: Universe Transverse Mercator
>    proj: utm
>    datum: wgs84
>    a: 6378137.0
>    es: 0.006694379990141316
>    zone: 47
>    no_defs: defined
>
> The data supplier told me that the projection of this shp file is UTM.
> So, the message of new PC seems to be correct, and previous message
> may be wrong.
> Anyway, it is very confusing...
This is confusing indeed. There should be a file called lu2543s.prj .
This is a plain text file with the projection information for
lu2543s.shp, you can open it with any text editor, see what's in there
and create a location according to this information. If v.in.ogr still
complains that projections don't match, you can use v.in.ogr -o, but
something may be wrong with gdal and/or proj4.
> Can such confusing situation be resolved if I install grass-6.4?
grass-6.4 has lots of bug fixes and improvements over previous versions,
I would always recommend to use grass-6.4 instead of earlier versions.
And also update gdal and proj4.

> Where can I get grass-6.5 and grass7?
grass-6.5 and grass-7 are only available as source code via svn. If you
are not familiar with compiling from source, this can be a bit tricky
not to say it could cost you a day or more. Information on how to
download source is here: http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/DownloadSource
There is a wiki page on how to compile and install:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Compile_and_Install
It is easier to install grass-6.4 binaries.

> Does grass-6.4 use smaller memory than grass 6.2.2?
Not for breaking polygons.