[GRASS-user] Grass save on cluster?

Rainer M Krug r.m.krug at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 09:14:28 EDT 2009

Hi

how save is GRASS 6.3.2 to be used on a cluster? I am starting several
instances of grass on a single node, they all have their own grass
database (but they share a linked PERMANENT and the name of the mapset
and location is the same). I am asking as I experience from time to
time crashes in my simulation because certain files can not be found,
and these crashes are not reproducible when only one GRASS instance
runs.

In addition, how safe is it to execute several r.mapcalc and other map
operations in the same mapset in parallel (obviously with different
maps)? Again, I experienced severe problems with that, wherefore I
abandoned it (although it increases my simulation time considerable).
I would have expected it to work, but again, I had non reproducible
(and inconsistent) crashes.

Can somebody comment on that or provide some pointers?

Thanks

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug, Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology,
Stellenbosch University, South Africa