[GRASS-user] r.region and v.vol.rst parameters for Lat-Long location

Christian Ferreira chris.for.lists at googlemail.com
Fri May 8 11:50:56 EDT 2009

HI all,

I was working with volume interpolation with nearly no problem following the
GRASS documentation and the grassbook for a UTM location.

But working with a Lat-Long location is creating many doubts in my mind.

First, I don't know v.vol.rst really works with Lat-Long, since all the
examples I saw were in UTM location.

If yes, my location is:

RASS 6.4.0RC4 (Transect11):~ > g.region -p
projection: 3 (Latitude-Longitude)
zone:       0
datum:      wgs84
ellipsoid:  wgs84
north:      10:57:00.288311S
south:      11:03S
west:       78:49:12W
east:       77:45:13.757688W
nsres:      0:00:00.988219
ewres:      0:00:00.988219
rows:       364
cols:       3884
cells:      1413776

And I was setting t=0 b=-2200 tbres=20... to have 100 depths. But I don't
unterstand how should be res3, since I'm not using a UTM location. Should I
convert, let's say "10 meters" to decimal degrees, and using the result to
set "dmin"?

Second, at v.vol.rst, I don't understand how to set "dmin"? Is the same
thing as above?

Basically I have a raster map with multibeam (bathymetry) along the 11
degree South parallel, and many CTDs measurements in the water column.

Please see here to understand what I mean:
http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.for.lists/Map#5333477845413068514

I would like to create a slice (not exactly a volume) to show the CTD data
over this 3D surface using nviz.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: I'm using GRASS 6.4.0 RC4.

Best regards,