[GRASS-user] v.vol.rst basic questions

Christian Ferreira chris.for.lists at googlemail.com
Mon May 11 11:06:47 EDT 2009

Hi Hamish,

stepping back a bit from the 3D, does any one have a comment about
> the appropriateness of using v.surf.rst in lat/lon locations?

So, I have multibeam data covering the coast of Ecuador and Peru.
And Since this data was in Lat-Long, as well the stations lists, I just
tried
to use the same format.

Personally, I try to use Lat-Long because my "working areas" are normally
big.

did you get a result? (be a "try it and find out" experimentalist :)

Apparently I have results see bellow, and I see it on nviz.

http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.for.lists/Map#5334573425418213906

 | Layer:    cdt_volume2 at PERMANENT          Date: Mon May 11 16:06:29
2009    |
 | Mapset:   PERMANENT                      Login of Creator:
christian       |
 | Location:
Transect11                                                       |
 | DataBase:
/Users/christian/Work/M77/GRASS                                  |
 | Title:     ( cdt_volume2
)                                                 |
 | Timestamp:
none                                                            |

 |   Type of Map:  3d cell              Number of Categories:
0               |
 |   Data Type:
double                                                     |
 |   Rows:
359                                                        |
 |   Columns:
3835                                                       |
 |   Depths:
10                                                         |
 |   Total Cells:
13767650                                                   |
 |        Projection: Latitude-Longitude (zone
0)                             |
 |            N: 10:57:00.288311S    S:     11:03S   Res:
0:00:01.001982      |
 |            E: 77:45:13.757688W    W:  78:49:12W   Res:
0:00:01.000845      |
 |            T:          0    B:      -2200   Res:
220                     |
 |   Range of data:   min = 2.56193161 max =
12.80138111                      |

 |   Data
Source:                                                             |

 |   Data
 |    generated by
v.vol.rst                                                  |

Comments:                                                                |
 |    v.vol.rst input="ctd_3d" cellinp="bathy" wcolumn="temperatur"
tensio\   |
 |    n=40. smooth=0.1 segmax=100 npmin=200 dmin=0.01 wmult=1.0
zmult=0.00\   |
 |    0278
elev="cdt_volume2"                                                 |

Actually, here I have a very strange thing...

If I run g.list rast3d, I can list my interpoled volume.

But if I try to run "r3.info ctd_volume2" in the command line I get a
message
telling "ERROR: Raster map <ctd_volume2> not found", but if I use the GUI
for
r3.info is possible to read the file (like above).

The same happens if I try start nviz with:

"nviz bathy volume=ctd_volume2"

So, here is something wrong, because I'm able to manipulate the file just
using the GUI...
I don't unterstand what? Maybe a bug?

so res ~ 30m?

Yes!

it is approx 1 degree wide, and even though it is on the edge of UTM 18
> you probably can get away with reprojecting half way into the next zone
> with acceptable distortion. else just set up a custom transverse mercator
> with a lon_0 of 78W instead of 75W to work in.
>
> as you have already guessed, giving x,y,z all using the same units
> removes a lot of problems.

Aham. So, this means that v.vol.rst is not supposed to be used with
Lat-Long?

If yes, I will definitely quit this Lat-Long location and go to UTM.

> I don't know, I expect it doesn't know about lat/lon units so it may
> consider depths to be in degrees too. but maybe that's ok -- once it
> is stretched back to meters the effect will be to induce a barrier to
> strong vertical mixing, versus the relative ease of horizontal mixing,
> which is in fact somewhat realistic. (at least it's wrong in the right
> direction)
>
> NVIZ does know to scale lat/lon maps back to meters for 2.5D raster
> maps*, probably it scales 3D volumes too?
>
> [*] that still requires some heavy refinement though

I don't know, but I'd guess it is "dumb". Also I don't know if dmin
> is considered in the voxel cube or just in horizontal slices?
>
> Something you might try is to divide the depths by 1852*60 (approx
> meters in a deg lat) to convert the depths into degree units, but
> really reprojecting into UTM or so would be my first try. you are
> somewhat lucky that you are working near the equator.

Well, after trying the whole Friday with nearlly no results, I'm quite
convinced
that v.vol.rst is not dumb.

And, I was not able to set very well "dmin".So, the results were strange.

Here is a try adjusting res3 to 0.000278 (30m), zmult to the same number and
dmin to 0.001

http://picasaweb.google.com/chris.for.lists/Map#5334573425418213906

> actually the thing that I worry about there is not the x,y with z using
> different units (easily fixed by reprojecting to a planimetric
> projection), it is that all of your data points are essentially in a
> single straight line, and what effect that has on the 3D algorithm?

As long I'm capable to produce a 2D slice along the transect/volume
to show the data, the rest would not matter for the moment.

But I understand that interpolation algorithm is having a hard time when
trying to
interpolate the cells away from the transect.

This was a test... the best is probably how you are saying below...

> perhaps remake your axes as distance-along-transect vs. depth? then
> treat distance as the x axis and depth as the y axis and make a simple
> 2D interpolation? (classic matlab contourf(), shading flat or masked
> v.surf.rst) then somehow rotate it to be a 1 cell wide 3D raster* to
> throw up?
>
> [*] I haven't (yet) written a r3.{in|out}.mat but I suppose it would
> not be too hard for you to write a little script to create a single
> slice to import with r3.in.ascii (see the help page examples) to rotate
> the 2D slice to a vertical one?

Well, is not better (or possible) to set in GRASS a temporary region so thin

(in the N-S axis) to create this 2D slice?

Otherwise, I will simply do it like you said before... creating a 1 cell
wide 3D raster.

PS: I using for this tests GRASS in a Macbook/Intel on Mac OS X 10.5, and
using
the binaries from http://www.kyngchaos.com/software:grass/

> check out Helena's Chesapeake Bay interpolations:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/screenshots/viz.php  (near the end)
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/gmslab/viz/ches.html<http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/%7Ehelena/gmslab/viz/ches.html>
>
> and also maybe some r3.out.vtk stuff with Paraview or Vis5D?

I'm trying to simply do all using GRASS... maybe is not the best choice.

Regards,
Chris

--
Christian Ferreira