[GRASS-user] Help with creating bathymetric maps

Alyre alyre.chiasson at umoncton.ca
Wed May 20 15:26:52 EDT 2009

Hello again,

This is all great info and I am sure the links will be helpful. Also the
heads up on several issues are of great value. I haven't given up yet but
find myself occasionally stubbing over  unfamiliar terms such as a quadtree
(but I will look it up). I do have the last GRASS book but can't claim to
understand too much even though I have all three editions. The arrival of
QGIS has helped a lot as well as the associated tutorials. Getting my data
in is no longer a problem (projections) as well as simple manipulations. I
currently have installed GRASS 6.4, QGIS (Kore 1.0) and find FWtools
helpful. I have also found the book Desktop GIS to be useful.

If I can sort all of this out I may following your suggestion of put
together a tutorial, however, I feel someone more knowledgeable  would have
to review it. There might be aspects I have overlooked or better ways of
accomplishing the same thing.

I will do my homework and might be back with a few more questions. By the
way I think v.extract will get me my shoreline boundaries as points and then
I can merge the two vector files (shoreline and depths), then do the raster
conversion.

Thanks for the help.

Alyre