[GRASS-user] Can this be done in GRASS

Dylan Beaudette debeaudette at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 26 12:25:47 EDT 2009

On Friday 22 May 2009, william told wrote:
> Hi, the attached 3D image I believe was generated by software. I was
> wondering is someone could tell me if there is a way to create something
> similar with GRASS, out of shapefiles (or do I need something more, like an
> aerial photo?) Many thanks
> Bill

Hi,

Looks like some kind of thematic map, draped over an elevation surface, with a
vector representation of a river system on the right-side.

This is not at all difficult to do in GRASS, you just need some data first. Do
you have

1. thematic data in raster / vector format?
2. data sufficient to generate an elevation surface, or a DEM?
3. hydrologic data in raster / vector format?

Once you have these things, all in the same coordinate system- planar if
possible, bring them into a grass mapset (see the manual). You can generate
perspectives like the attached image with a tool called 'nviz'. Here is an
example, using a DEM, aerial photo, and 3D tree objects (see the GRASS
add-ons page):

http://169.237.35.250/~dylan/temp/pinn_trees_rnd.jpg

Cheers,
Dylan