[GRASS-user] error using r.sim.water

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 07:58:58 EDT 2009

Bernd wrote:
> Has anyone experience with using r.sim.water under Windows?
> I'm planning to use it for the simulation of flash flood events.
> I tried it with a DEM (1m resolution) with the following
> Leaving everything else unchanged for a testrun, I get the
> following message
> and r.sim.water crashes:
>
> "r.sim.water.exe hat ein Problem festgestellt und muss
> beendet werden."
> ("r.sim.water.exe has detected a problem and has to be
> closed")
>
> Can anyone tell me what's going wrong?

probably a memory allocation bug. I get the same error on WinGrass
running the spearfish example from the r.sim.water help page, but
in Linux it works perfectly.

filed as bug #617:
  https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/617

> Would it be better to use GRASS under Linux for this purpose?

in general grass is way better tested in linux + Mac and most things
work really well there. but on the other hand we need testers to find
all these Windows bugs & the quicker we find them the quicker WinGrass
becomes bug-free. :)

Hamish