[GRASS-user] grass-python scripting error

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 08:46:34 EDT 2009

Milton wrote:
> I tryed to start grass64R4 with -text to test your suggestion
> but I don't know why I get error on starting comand line version:
>
> ----------------------------
> famiglia at FAMIGLIA-PC
> ~
> $ /c/OSGeo4W/apps/grass/bin/grass64 -text
> Cleaning up temporary files ...
> Starting GRASS ...
>
> Redirection is not supported.
> ------------------
>
> I also can't start with -wx
>
> Any idea?!

start it from the OSGeo4W DOS Shell or menu items, not the OSGeo Msys
shell.

>From the above I guess that you are using the OSGeo4W install and
trying to launch it from the OSGeo Msys terminal. OSGeo4W have partially
made their own customized grass launching magic scripts so this might
be better in their bug tracker,
  http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-grass

but in my copy of osgeo4w grass6.4.0svn-2 package, in
 /c/OSGeo4W/apps/grass/etc/Init.sh
it starts with "set -x" so I get to see the script debug messages.

After fixing osgeo4w bug # 90 in a text editor, I too see the
"Redirection is not supported." message, and it comes from somewhere
in the $GISBASE/etc/set_data program.

shrug. -- run it from the OSGeo DOS shell.

from there I can do "grass64 -text" and once in grass do "g.gui" to
launch the tcl/tk GUI. (but not the wxpython GUI, have to use the
menu item for that; maybe already fixed waiting for next release?).

from the DOS prompt I can start grass with 'grass64 -wx' and it loads
the wxPython GUI ok.

Hamish