[GRASS-user] R and GRASS-windows (readRAST6 problem, installation)

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Nov 2 17:19:25 EST 2009

For questions of this kind, please use the statgrass list.

When you repeat your question on that list, please include sessionInfo()
with all information including your locale, and full GRASS details, that is
what GRASS version, how installed (there are many different variants, which
version of the standalone installer), how used (Rterm.exe, Rgui.exe, ...),
from which terminal R was started, and verbatim output of gmeta6().

Using spaces in path variables is never a good idea anyway, but it might be
possible to add an extra layer of protection. Without knowing your exact
system specifications will however make your report difficult to reproduce.

Roger

Martin Maier-2 wrote:

> Hello at all
>
> I use R to do statistics of some GRASS data. On the windows machines (XP
> and W2K) there occurred a problem when using the readRAST6 command form
> the spgrass6 library. I think the problem is linked to the standard
> installation of the GRASS standalone installer.
>
> The standalone installer creates a folder named "GIS DataBase" under "My
> Documents". To test where the problem is, I moved the folder "GIS
> DataBase" to D:\
>
> Now I started R from within the new GRASS wxpython GUI. Within R I
> loaded spgrass6 ("library(spgrass6)"). Then the command readRAST6 fails.
> After renaming "GIS DateBase" to "GISDataBase" (and of course new start
> of GRASS and R) everything with the readRAST6 command works fine.
>
> So my guess is, that the readRAST6 command can not handle the blanks in
> the paths and on the other hand the installation of GRASS under windows
> with the standalone installer creates a default GIS database with a
> blank in the folder name. So probably it would be a good idea to change
> "GIS DataBase" to "GISDataBase". But then there is still the blank in
> "My Documents"!
>
> Can anyone confirm this, and should I file a bug report?
>
> Martin

-----
Roger Bivand
Economic Geography Section
Department of Economics
Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration
Helleveien 30
N-5045 Bergen, Norway