[GRASS-user] v.in.ascii slowness in GRASS 6.4.0

Thomas Adams Thomas.Adams at noaa.gov
Wed Nov 4 19:33:52 EST 2009

Martin & Hamish,

I believe I know what the problem is (to a degree). I am running GRASS
in a network environment where GRASS is installed on one machine, my
user files are on a 2nd, my GRASS database is on a 3rd, and I am logged
into a 4th (all on Redhat Linux). So, reading my file over the -network-
must be causing the big slowdown. One week ago we installed a new
version of RedHat Linux on all of our networked machines (of which there
are a combination of 10 workstations and ~10 servers); something with
this new installation did something to slowdown what I was doing
previously. I can ssh into an independent machine where everything is
local and my import times are comparable to what Martin got:

$ time v.in.ascii in=xmrg0106200804z.ascii out=test --q

real    0m19.592s
user    0m12.269s
sys     0m3.116s

$ v.info test -t | grep points
points=65000

This is a problem for me because I was dependent on using v.in.ascii for
automatically processing some data and analyzing it in an operational
setting. Looks like I have to find a new combination of machines to use
within my environment.

Thanks for your help!

Tom

--